It really pays to know whats going on with my medical and dental/vision plans. I just assumed everything will be paid for with my Dental/Vision plans - but I guess times have changed. Or at least my employers benefits have changed.
The way I understand it now is - We currently have a reimbursable plan through work that pays the first $150 and the rest at 50% for any dental or vision work. I also have funds in my HSA account that can be used for this.
So what happened?
I went to the dentist and got a bill for $241 - I used my HSA card for this. Then went to get my eye exam and glasses and the total came out to $383.92 - I used the credit card for this.
What should have happened was?
For my dental :
For my vision :
- Total : $241.00
- Dental Insurance : $150
- Grand Total : $91
- Dental Insurance pays 50% so... Charge $40.50 into credit card and $40.50 into HSA
- Total : $383.92
- Vision Insurance (since the $150 was used already, I only get the 50% reimbursement) so charge my credit card $191.96 and charged my HSA $191.96
TOTAL HSA CHARGES SHOULD BE : $237.46
TOTAL CC CHARGES SHOULD BE : $387.46
What needs to be done? My mini check list
- Call my dentist and have them reimburse my HSA account
- Charge $120.50 into both my HSA card
- Charge $120.50 into my credit card
- I will get reimbursed for $120.50 from my insurance - which clears out my credit card
- For my vision insurance - I need to check if they can reimburse me $383.92
- Charge $116.96 into my HSA card
- Charge $266.96 into my credit card
- I will get reimbursed $150 + $116.96 from my insurance
So I should get a TOTAL REIMBURSEMENT of $387.46
Have you made any mistakes or realized any mistakes you have from your Medical Plans?